Friday 12 March 2010

Quote No. 1

Just when I was asking what the hell I was thinking when I decided to become a doctor, I stumbled across this in my Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine (my medicine text book)...

The pleasure of a physician is little, the gratitude of patients is rare, and even rarer is material reward, but these things will never deter the student who feels the call within him.

Theodor Billroth
Oh God! Talk about depressing! It can't be that bad surely... Or is it... ?
If anyone can supply my morale with Gatorade... Leave a comment...

2 comments:

Pawlu said...

Ah, it's not that bad. Like most things, you get out of it what you put in it. Be nice to patients and patients will be nice back, and you'll feel like you've made a difference each time someone walks off the ward.
Material rewards? Not all that much, but it's plenty more than a good many jobs. Oh, and pharma reps sometimes chuck a pen your way.

Drew said...

hey marquita....i wouldnt call that quote depressing....because first of all any job you have, can have those downsides.....but more importantly arent the conditions of your job but that you respond to your calling....its better than having a beautiful lazy job which isnt your calling